Monday, April 2, 2012

My Resignation

Yep.

I'm resigning.

From the Lifesaver program.


Backtracking a little: I'm a huge proponent of giving blood. More blood is needed and fewer young people are giving it. I try to set an example by what I do, and I'm by no means perfect, but I consider blood donation a dually-charged duty.

Today, though.

Today I went to try to give blood. For perhaps the fourth or fifth time this year. And was deferred, yet again, for iron.

I have done every. Single. Thing. To get my iron up. I was told that tea intake (not coffee, just tea) inhibited iron absorption. So I drank maybe two cups in the last month. I was told that cycle days 1-7 are no good for donation. So I scheduled accordingly. I was told that more leafy greens would up the intake, and vitamin C would help absorption. So I ate all those things.

AND STILL, I get deferred for the lack of the tenth of a point (that's 0.1, people) that would have qualified me as a competent donor.

The only thing I haven't done is eat red meat, or take a lot of supplements. I'm not dead-set against these things. But I will not up my red meat intake. And I generally prefer just to eat foods instead of taking supplements.

I eat lower on the food chain. Almost always. It's for the environment. Do any amount of research on CAFO's and you will discover why. (Two words: poop lagoon.)

I will not increase my red meat consumption because A) I am technically at a healthy iron level, I just don't meet the donation standard and B) eating too much meat just makes me feel gross anymore.

I will continue my efforts to increase my iron in other ways, but I just can't compromise on the meat thing.

I'll still try to give, but I need to get off the Lifesaver program. They call you when they need blood. It's just kind of frustrating to get called when you know you won't cut it, again, for the seventh time.

:( Hopefully a temporary defeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment